It's the NEW Countdown!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Once Upon a Time...

Once upon a time a beautiful princess met a handsome young prince.
They danced. They laughed. They kissed.
It was true love.
And they lived happily ever after.

I live for fairy tale endings. I love them. I grew up reading about it and dreaming about it. I push it on my daughter that she too, will find a handsome young prince who will sweep her off her feet and together live happily ever after.

But does it happen? Not in this world, right? Then why do I keep trying to convince myself that it's real? Why not just tell Belle that her stories, her fairy tales are just that-- tales?
Well, simply because it is true. It does happen, even in a super twisted, crazy sort of way.

My way. Mine and Michael's way.

I am the princess; he, the prince. Our "once upon a time" was in no way a standard, traditional one. But we did meet, we did dance, we did laugh and we did kiss.
What fairy tales forget to mention are the details- both gory and glory- that occur after the dream wedding to the happily ever after.

The forgotten "in between" is my "once upon a time" right now. I have been married to Michael for four years.
This is our anniversary. Our life together is by no means a fairy tale, but it's our own story. (Holy shit, that just sounded like Jon&Kate Plus 8, didn't it? Oh God.)

What's our story? Probably close to yours...

I bitch. I cry. I yell. I threaten. I stomp. I preach. I give silent treatment. I choose sides. I scowl. I curse.
But also,
I smile. I laugh. I sleep. I eat. I shop. I talk. I listen. I joke. I defend. I jump. I dance. I touch. I hug. I kiss. I love.

Though the cynical side of me may be the more prominent side of me at most times, I do value my relationship with Michael and I do honour our vows said four years ago. I love my family. I love every bit of excitement, laughter, drama, tears and milestones we go through.
They say relationships burn down quickly after marriage and double that after children. Michael and I had all at once. It was hard. It is hard. But we still go.

I don't keep going just for the sake of our kids. I keep going for the sake of my marriage as well. Michael is important to me- very important. He is my partner, my confidant, my best friend, my prince. We may not have been how we were four years ago, but we are learning. Marriage is not a "thing" or a be-all and end-all status. It is a process. It is work. It needs willingness. And we are willing and that's what matters.

I write this because people see and hear the negative side of things, probably because I tell them so. It is the truth, but the greater truth, which I rarely say or admit to, is that I love my husband to the core. Why I hardly say it out loud and even to myself and especially to him more often--- I don't know exactly.

My heart is writing itself out on here because I want everyone to know two things:
1) I am celebrating my Fourth anniversary (one more until my 5th which is when Michael promised me new bling- or maybe I made him promise but who cares, I get one because 5 = a whole hand.)
and
2) There is a happily ever after and it happens more often than I realize. It happens through what new animals Belle discovers or how many times Blake can roll over. It happens when Michael hand makes me a copy of Midnight Sun or let's me sleep in.

So Michael, I know you seldom read this and will probably be taken aback when you do, but know this-- we are working hard in so many ways and through so many different facets to go through this thing called life. I appreciate you and seek your company just as much as I do our children. You are a good father and I encourage you to continue being someone both of them adore. You are a good husband and I encourage you to continue being the man I always believed I saw in you since day one. And last but not least, I love you. I love you today. I'll love you tomorrow. I'll love you again. And we'll live happily ever after.
Happy Anniversary. Now man up, say you feel the same! (Haha- needed to include the real me somewhere in this sticky sap).

Now, next time you see us, ask us to kiss. We'll do it. (Oh Lordie, I can just imagine what both my brothers' reactions to this is). Belle will jump and clap, I know it.
Also, thanks to my sister Steph who keeps encouraging us- her and Jay's special "pear"- to love and laugh more.

It is a celebration today. I will kiss and hug Michael and ask him to take me to dinner.
And tonight, I will take Belle and read Cinderella.

The End.

4 comments:

Steph said...

awww...you do make a perfect pear and that's apeeling. (lol - that didn't make sense, but, oh well) :)

leesh said...

I knew it was your anniversary but I was so caught up in my brother's birthday. So, belated happy anniversary to you and Michael!

.:chris:. said...

awwwww...how shweeet!! Too bad I didn't read this before I saw you guys this past weekend...next time I see you, you guys owe me a kiss!! :)

mareens said...

Happy belated anniversary!

I just found the link to your blog again so I'm going to have to catch up on all the entries I missed while I was on vacation. :)

We missed you on Friday...let's plan our dinner reunion soon!

P.S. What are you doing this weekend?